Running and jogging is a form of physical exercise. Regular running builds strong bones, improves cardiovascular fitness, and thus it helps to maintain a healthy lifestyle. One from the five Australians try running and jogging at every stage of their life.
Regular running and jogging is a good way to improve your health and that helps in maintaining your body fit. Running in some park near your residence at any time that suits you will definitely make your lifestyle healthy.
Many people choose to participate in races, marathons and athletics. If you are one of them and interested in competing with the other runners than contact your local running club.
Benefits Of Running And Jogging
Regularly running or jogging provides you many health benefits:
- Running helps in building strong bones
- Running strengthens the muscles
- Running helps in maintaining the weight of your body
- Running just 10 miles a week reduces all the cardiovascular disease
Running Versus Jogging
The major difference between running and jogging is the intensity. Running is faster than jogging and hence it uses more of kilojuices and demand more efforts from the heart, lungs and muscles as compared to jogging. Running requires a much more intense level of fitness as compared to jogging.
Both running and jogging are a form of aerobic exercise. Aerobic means ‘with oxygen’ and the term ‘aerobic exercise’ stimulates the heart rate and breathing rate that increases in a way which could be sustained for the exercise session.
Goal setting for running and jogging
Your running goals can be ambitious and setting a goal for running and jogging is mandatory:
- Getting Fit: If you are beginner and just started running you should start brisk walking first and then continue with jogging and running.
- General Fitness : You can surely mix your fitness with swimming or the other team sports to maximise your overall fitness levels. Though general fitness training work towards broader goals of overall health and well- being.
- Loss Of Weight: Healthy eating is one of the best way to loose weight. A balanced diet is very much essential for weight loss. Including fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products will help you in immediate weight loss.
- Companionship: You could include a friend of yours in running if he/she is interested in running and jogging and could also join a nearby running club.
- Competition: The nearby running clubs offer many competitive events such as races, marathons and athletic meets for the runners and the joggers. Most of the clubs also provide sessions which are especially designed for the beginners.
Running and jogging for beginners
Here are some general tips for the beginners:
- See your doctor before starting running and jogging program. This is an important process if you are above 40 years or suffering from some chroninc disease.
- Start with brisk walking which includes 30 minutes walking session. Minimum six weeks of regular running and jogging would develop your interest in physical exercise.
- Keep your aim high every time you run or jogg for 30 minutes
- Make sure you warm up in regular intervals of running and jogging. This would increase your strength of running.
- Try to drink plenty of water while you are running or jogging as it will limit the negative effects of dehydration.
- You should allow atleast two days weekly off to avoid overtraining that may cause serious injury.
- Plan your route of walking everyday, instead choose grassy fields than the hard surfaces footpaths.
- Applying spf30 sunscreen to your exposed areas of skin.
- Try wearing loose cotton clothes that allow air to penetrate to your body.
- Buy an appropriate pair of shoes that are comfortable instead of the old ones.
Choosing running and jogging shoes
Some important tips while choosing running and jogging shoes:
- Avoid wearing your old sneakers, instead buy a new pair that are comfortable.
- The running shoes should bend easily and must have a shock absorbing material in the heels.
- While buying your running shoes you should wear your socks that you intend to wear while running.
- You must have your shoes professionally fitted.
Health and safety suggestions with running and jogging
Suggestions while running with jogging:-
- Eat a healthy well balanced diet with more of proteins involved in your diet. Vegetarians may include low fat dairy products in your diet and non-vegetarian may include eggs in their daily diet.
- Avoid eating directly before running. Eat 1-2 hours before exercising.
- Avoid running on a sunny day
- Drink plenty of water before and after running sessions.
- Don’t forget to take your mobile phone with you as a mode of listing songs via headphones.
- If you are injured during your running session seek medical advice immediately.